Build a “pirate ship” and set it to sail, er, … paddle across Webster Lake
A cardboard regatta is a boat race in hand constructed vessels made entirely out of cardboard, duct tape and paint. It is a competition with two parts:
- the first is to design and build a boat made out of cardboard
- the second is to make sure it not only floats but can also compete against other handmade boats for the fastest time on the lake.
- 1 crew member (dingy class)
- 2 crew members (schooner class)
- 3-4 crew members (cruiser class)
- 5-6 crew members (friggate class)
Depending on the number of boats registered boats of similar sizes will race for prizes. If there is only one boat in any size it will race with another boat similar in size.
Cardboard Regatta Schedule (Saturday Event)
Please pre-register your boat so that we know you will be coming (so we can determine how long the competition will last). We will allow walk-ups but would prefer a “heads up” you are coming.
- 11:00 AM – Boat check in – they will be on display from the time of your arrival until the race
- 12:45 PM – All members of your team must be on-site so we can start at 1:00 PM
- 1:00 PM – First Race Starts
- End time will be determined by number of boats registered.
How to Build a Cardboard Boat
Please remember that you must adhere to the rules of OUR competition. Not everything you see and read on the internet is admissible in our Regatta but these examples are really good as a starting point to get information about how boats can go together.
This site boosts “how to build a cardboard boat in less than 3 hours.” The site includes photos and a list of suggested materials. A good place to start!
This site is a photostory of one group’s construction process. Shows all aspects of building from design to race. From the official Great Cardboard Boat Regatta.
Need help building a sea worthy vessel?
Come to Cardboard Boat Building 101, September 7 from 4 PM – 7 PM at EB Rains Park, Ponderosa Pavilion. You’ll learn helpful tips and tricks so you can have a boat that sails to victory. Let us know if you are coming. The two winners from last year’s race will be at the training and will share some tips and tricks. Some supplies will be provided free of charge at the event.